Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cake Golf Balls

Bucket O' Balls
Recently, while making dessert for my brother-in-laws birthday party, I decided to give cake balls a go. I wanted to make something golf themed as he is a big golfer and had seen some cake pops shaped like golf balls. I figured I could do something similar and just make the balls. I did some looking around on the internet, but did not want to order golf ball chocolate molds because I did not have enough time for them to ship. I ended up remembering that there is a local baking supply place and voila! they had the exact things I needed for my foray into cake balls. If you are looking for baking supplies online (or in the Albany area) check out The Confectionary House, it is really great and has TONS of selection. So once I had my golf ball chocolate mold and some white chocolate disks for melting, I was ready to go. 

If you have not been introduced to cake balls (Do you live under a rock? Just kidding, kinda.) they are made by combining cake and frosting and then are generally dipped/covered in a variety of chocolate and decorations. You bake a cake in a pan and then cut off the edges so that you don't have any of the crumbly part. From there you can have some fun and crumble the cake in a large bowl. You can either make or buy frosting (for the record I do not believe in canned frosting) and combine the two to create a soft dough. I recommend using almost equal parts cake and frosting so that they really stick together. Roll the dough into a ball of about one inch diameter and you are ready to dip in chocolate. Cake balls can be made with any combination of cake and frosting. I personally enjoy making them with cream cheese frosting because white chocolate can make the cake balls extremely sweet. Cream cheese frosting and a less sweet cake can help to balance that out. For the golf balls I used a cinnamon cake with cream cheese frosting.


How to make the golf balls:
1. Prep the cake balls as described above. Place on non-stick cookie sheet, or parchment paper. Make sure to refrigerate the cake balls well so that they are solid.
2. Melt small amounts of white chocolate at a time and fill each half golf ball about 1/2 full with melted chocolate. Place cake ball in the chocolate and press down until the chocolate fills the half-ball mold to the top. You may have to wipe off some excess around the edges.
3. Allow these to harden well in the fridge. 
4. Pop the cooled halves out and refill the molds 1/2 way. Complete the golf ball by dipping the hardened half into the melted chocolate. This takes a little practice to get the right amount of chocolate in the molds to fill appropriately. 
5. Allow the finished golf balls to cool. Use a sharp paring knife to trim any extra chocolate around the seam, in order to create a smooth appearance around the middle.
6. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve/display.
7. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment