Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Homemade Pizza

Disclaimer:  I am well aware that making pizza is not exactly reinventing the wheel...but read this post anyway (please).


Last Saturday my sister had asked me if I was cool with making a pizza for dinner. I don't make pizza at home that often so I was pretty game. One of the major benefits of making your own pizza is that you have control of all the ingredients and therefore can make a much healthier version of the popular junk food. Now, I have been known to enjoy a good greasy slice (many times in the wee hours of the morning), but in general I like to maintain a pretty healthy diet.


In preparation for our pizza we hit The Fresh Market and picked up some nicer pizza sauce. After that we went to our regular grocery store to grab fresh veggies, settling on green pepper and broccoli. While we were looking for pre-made pizza dough, my sis saw some pesto and really wanted it, so we decided to throw it in the mix. We also grabbed a cheese mix made from part skim mozzarella and cheddar, with a lower fat content than some of its buddies.


We got home and decided to put sauce and green peppers on half, and broccoli with pesto on the other half. I always add a little bit of salt to my pizza as I think it brings out the flavors more. My sister also puts cheese over the veggies, which I thought worked out well. Our super simple dinner turned out phenomenal and was incredibly tasty. The half with nice pesto and broccoli was excellent and I highly recommend trying it. All in all, an easy to prepare meal perfect for a glass of chardonnay.



No comments:

Post a Comment