Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes

These pancakes remind me of eating pumpkin pie for breakfast. I never loved pumpkin when I was younger, but in recent years I have really come to love the flavor. Once I discovered that pumpkin was a healthy and moist (and delicious!) ingredient in baking, it was a free-for-all. I've made pumpkin cookies, donuts, muffins, bread, and now...pancakes. I love traditional pancakes and how easy they are to make. These were quick and easy, perfect for a Sunday morning. Here's what you need:

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp white sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
a dash of salt
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
*1/8 cup chopped pecans (optional)


Make sure you have preheated and greased a griddle for the pancakes. Start the batter by mixing the dry ingredients together, then add in the wet ingredients. It is important not to overmix pancakes as they will get tough. Once you have your batter all set, drop by 1/3 cups onto griddle. I used the back of my measuring cup to flatten it out a bit. Because the pumpkin is a thick consistency, it takes much longer to cook through than a normal pancake. These will take a few minutes on each side on medium-low heat. 

Serve with real maple syrup and a dollop of whipped cream. The whipped cream really gives that pumpkin pie taste and is great for dipping. 


No comments:

Post a Comment