Thursday, October 27, 2011

Homemade Croutons

When it gets chilly, I love chili! And the perfect topping for a warm bowl of chili is garlic, parmesan croutons. While I am not a fan of store-bought croutons, when I make them myself not only are they healthier, but way tastier as well. 


Chili with plenty of croutons!
Never made croutons yourself? Try it out! They are super simple and a quick topper four soups and salads. My brother actually just eats them as a snack. I recommend starting with a few slices of bakery bread that is a couple of days past fresh. Croutons are also an excellent way to not waste those last few pieces that tend to get forgotten at the end of a loaf. Slice up the bread into squares somewhere between 1/2-1" and put them in a largish bowl. Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil and toss the bread squares so that they have some oil on them. Sprinkle the bread with garlic powder, and parmesan cheese. Lay the croutons on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 min. I recommend flipping the croutons a couple of times while cooking so that both sides get crunchy. 


Serve over your favorite dinner dish and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment